A smarter waste management Grid in a select European city for better resources utilization
Inefficiencies in the waste collection process:
- Labor, trucks, and other equipment are inefficiently used raising operation costs.
- Containers useful life is reduced from unnecessary emptying.
- Waste bins & landfills that are overflowing pollute the whole area and become invitation for rodent carrying diseases.
CharIoT Universal IoT platform Waste Bin management application allowed the european city you to measure the waste container levels and disposal processes for collection. Using smart waste bin sensors, fill level was calculated by the platform enabling the waste collection routes which are dynamic and optimized. CharIoT advance algorithms helped to predict an optimized and most dynamic route system on basis of garbage filling rate in number of distributed city zones. The containers were allowed to fill up to 90 percent capacity, while making sure they didn’t become overfilled. The results were less frequent emptying cycles, reducing time devoted to collections, and reduced distance traveled by garbage trucks. This has been a sizeable operational savings for the waste collecting teams and wear on equipment.
Using various connectivity option- GPRS, LoRa, or M-Bus, CharIoT’s IoT platform reports capacity levels for each waste container. When data is received, the CharIoT application mines information in real time to predict when containers will reach a predefined level. Based on the data, it creates a customized collection route each day.
CharIoT IoT platform collects data from weather forecast, traffic condition, team shift and using advance machine learning algorithm combining these data sets with real time data can predict better waste collection process during a rainy day in comparison to sunny day.
Valuable Insights from the Solution
- Less frequent Bin emptying cycles, reducing time devoted to collections, and reduced distance traveled by garbage trucks.
- Better understanding of usage patterns that improve the distribution of waste receptacles and collection points across the city.
- CharIoT advance algorithms helped to predict an optimized and most dynamic route system on basis of garbage filling rate in number of distributed city zones.